How BC Homeowners can Prepare for Wildfire Season!
The British Columbia Fire Service has declared a provincial state of emergency due to the increasing number of active fires ongoing in British Columbia. There are over 570 active fires as of now, stretching from one end of the province to the other.
In this state of emergency it is crucial to have a plan and be fire smart!
- Transport or plan to move livestock to outside areas where air quality and fires will not harm them.
- Have a disaster or emergency kit available (make a kit for your pet)
- Use fire-resistant materials for your home’s rooftop structure and any exterior material.
- Plant fire-resistant trees, shrubs, and plants.
- Clean your roof and gutters regularly
- Have at least one fire extinguisher (ABC type). Teach each family member how to use the fire extinguisher
- Keep handy tools available: axe, a rake, handsaw or chain saw, shovel, bucket.
- Always have a ladder with which you can reach the roof
- Install protective shutters or fire-resistant drapes
- Clear and remove items that are quick to burn: wood piles, lawn furniture, grills etc.
- Make sure you have a garden hose. If you have a pool or any source of water outside, make sure it contains enough water.
- Get a portable pump in case electrical power is cut off
- Close all doors, shutters, windows, attic doors.
- Shut off any natural gas, propane or fuel
The steps above will help to prepare your home in the event that a wildfire is in your area. For further protection, SPIEDR has several products that can protect your structure from encroaching flames. Whether you need to protect your community, farm or ranch, or you need to protect key infrastructure, you can trust that SPIEDR will be here for you.
See how our products below can help you protect your home and surroundings.
The Deluge 1 Sprinkler Kit - Protects 4 Structures:
- Protects 4 average size homes
- Contents are packaged in durable poly shipping container with attached lid. It then converts to a storage container for your apparatus.
The Rainmaker – Designed for Oil & Gas Industry Infrastructure Protection
- Designed for Oil and Gas Industry to protect key infrastructure such as Operations Buildings during wildland fire events.
- Permanent or seasonal install onto roof tops
- Sprinkler diameter coverage of minimum 240' - 620' diameter dependent on head specified
- Continuous 360-degree rotation