A burning wildfire

Amazing Wildfire Facts

How much do you know about wildfires? You might be surprised by some of these fascinating wildfire facts. 90% of All Wildfires are Human-Caused 90% of all wildfires are human caused, with the other 10% being caused by natural occurrences such as lightning strikes. Common ways that human-caused wildfires are ignited include unattended campfires, burning [...]

A History of Wildfire Fighting Equipment

Fire Pumps In the 1850s, early portable pumps for firefighting were large pumps on wheels that would be pulled by horses to a water source near the fire, allowing firefighters to access water and use it as a reliable fire suppression system. This method was effective but had its difficulties. Eventually, the horses were replaced […]

Firefighting airplane flying above a wildfire.

Wildland Firefighting Equipment and How it is Used

Wondering how exactly wildland firefighting is done? Firefighters rely on a lot of important equipment to get fires under control. Here are some of the most important pieces of wildland firefighting equipment and how it is used.  Helicopters & Airplanes Aircrafts are essential in fighting forest fires. Helicopters and airplanes are used to transport fire [...]
Flooding in a forest.


Historic Flooding in BC The recent historic flooding in British Columbia that resulted in multiple fatalities, destruction of major highways, and the total flooding of the communities of both Abbotsford and Merritt, have left the province devastated.  The flooding and mudslides this year feel to many like a shocking coincidence after a summer of intense […]

Firefighter standing in a smoky forest.

What is a Controlled Burn and How Does it Work?

You may have heard of firefighters starting “controlled burns” during wildfire season in order to help fight forest fires. Many people hear this and wonder how it’s possible to make a wildfire less dangerous by intentionally burning more fuel, but controlled burning is actually a very effective way of controlling wildfire, when done correctly and […]

top human forest fire causes

Top Human Forest Fire Causes

Human caused fires make up more than half of all the wildfires in Canada each year. These wildland fires are also deemed as more destructive than fires caused by nature. Below we outline just what behaviours are the main causes of these fires.  Methods of Human-Caused Forest Fires Cigarettes Discarded cigarettes used to be the [...]
impact of wildfire on wildlife

How Wildfire Impacts Wildlife

Population Loss Larger mammals like deer and bears generally have a low mortality rate when it comes to forest fires, because they are able to move quickly to another location when a fire begins. Burrowing animals are also not impacted greatly because they are able to stay protected underground. Small mammals like mice and voles […]

DSC 1895

How the Environment Responds to Wildfire

When a major, intense wildfire occurs, it has a major impact on the environment of that area well after the fire is out. Here is what the environmental response to a forest fire looks like. CO2 Wildfires emit a large amount of carbon dioxide, contributing to climate change. Globally, wildfires contribute about 10% of the […]